Expired Makeup?! Yes, makeup does expire and using expired makeup is a big no-no. I know many of us makeup lovers/hoarders have tons of different mascaras, lipsticks, foundations, etc in our makeup collection that we keep just for those days when you want a specific look. But it is very important that you know the expiration dates of your makeup and signs of when it’s time to toss em’ away. Using expired makeup can cause breakouts, skin irritation, rashes and even infections.
Here is a quick guide that will help you in the quest for a fresh makeup collection-
*Quick note- Expiration timeframe starts from the time when the product is opened.
- Foundation – Expires in 1 year
- Warning signs to look out for – The foundation color has lightened or the foundation has separated into layers.
- Tips – Keep foundation is a cool spot, away from sunlight. Foundations with pumps are better in keeping your foundation fresh longer since it is less prone to germs.
- Cream Shadows – Expires in 12-18 months
- Warning signs to look out for – The cream shadow is really dry and hard to work with.
- Tips – Make sure you always tightly close all of these products to ensure that they don’t dry out faster. Also, always use clean brushes to apply,
- Powders/Shadows – Expires in 12-18 months
- Warning signs to look out for – The powder is flakier than normal and really dry.
- Tips – Always use clean brushes to apply. This will help with keeping your shadows/powders sanitary and longer-lasting.
- Mascara/Eyeliner– Expires in 3 months
- Warning signs to look out for – The mascara is super clumpy and it has a weird smell.
- Tips – Never share mascara/eyeliner with anyone. Eye infections are no joke. If you do share, or you are a makeup artist make sure you always use disposable applicators.
- Lotion – Expires in 2 years
- Warning signs to look out for – The color or scent of the lotion has changed.
- Tips – Always keep in a cool place away from sunlight exposure. Also, a lotion with a pump dispenser is better than a jar of lotion as it is more sanitary and less prone to germs.
- Lipstick – Expires in 2 years
- Warning signs to look out for – The lipstick is really dry or has a funny odor to it.
- Tips – Don’t share your lipsticks!
- Lip Gloss – Expires in 1 year
- Warning signs to look out for – The lip gloss is extra sticky and has a funny odor to it.
- Tips – Don’t share your lip gloss!
- Perfume – Expires in 8-10 years
- Warning signs too look out for – The scent of the perfume has changed and the color of the perfume has lightened.
- Tips – Always keep in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. It will prevent the perfume from oxidizing.
- Nail Polish – Expires in 1-2 years
- Warning signs to look out for – The polish is really thick and goopy or the color has separated into layers.
- Tips – Always keep in a cool, dry place away from sunlight and give your polishes a quick shake from time to time.
I hope this helps you in keeping your makeup and beauty collection nice and fresh!
Let me know if you have any additional tips that you would like to share.
<3 Krista Theresa