My apologies…I know its been awhile since my last post. There has been so much going on lately and I have been working on a few things that I am excited to share with you shortly.
Today, I will be going over a few important things to know about sunscreen. With spring already here and summer right around the corner, I thought this would be a perfect topic.
First, I wanted to give you a brief overview of the dangers of the sun and not protecting your skin.
- -Skin Cancer – UVR (Ultra Violet Radiation) can cause skin cancer
- -Photo aging -UV skin aging. Long term sun exposure causes hyper pigmentation and premature wrinkling
- -Sunburn – Inflammation or blistering of the skin
With this said…it is soooo important to use sunscreen daily.
Here are a few tips and good things to know about sunscreen-
- -Sunscreen should be worn even on overcast days. 70%-80% of the sun rays goes through clouds and fog
- -SPF 15 or higher is best to use for everyday use. SPF 30 or higher is best if you will be outdoors for an extended period of time
- -Apply sunscreen to dry skin. Sunscreen should be applied before your moisturizer
- -Sunscreen should be applied at least 20 minutes before going outside
- -Sunscreen should be re-applied every 2 hours
- -Don’t forget to apply to sunscreen to your ears, neck and shoulders. These are the places most people forget
On a side note – here is the breakdown on SPF if you are curious…
SPF 15 filters out 93% of UV rays, SPF 30 filters out 97% of UV rays and SPF 50 filters out 98% of UV rays.
There are so many different sunscreens out there – water-resistance, sweat proof, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic and they also have ones made especially for people with sensitive skin and also for those who play sports. Sunscreen can also come in many different forms – gel, spray, cream, and some even come on a stick. It doesn’t matter which type you use as long as you are wearing one.
I hope this information is helpful to you and that you protect you skin everyday!
<3 Krista Theresa